If you find yourself into a situation where you have a single wired Internet connection and no router, at home or maybe in a hotel room – you can create an easy wireless network from your laptop and share the Internet connection with other devices.
How to create a WiFi hotspot on Windows 7
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center now from the left menu, choose Manage wireless networks
2. From the middle menu, on the left side click Add button > Create an ad hoc network > Next, Type a Network name, choose Security type, write a Password and click Next. Wait till the network creates and click the Close button.
That’s all now find your network from other devices in the networks list.
How to create a WiFi hotspot on Windows 8/8.1
1. To create a WiFi hotspot we’ll need to launch Command Prompt in administrator mode. Press window key, and in the search box write: cmd. When the cmd.exe (Command prompt) shows up, make a mouse right-click on it and from the menu choose Run as administrator.
2. In the Command prompt, to create a network write: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Technozed key=techpass
Where: Technozed is the Network’s name and techpass is the Network’s password.
3. Now that the network was created we should start it. For this write in the cmd: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
4. All your devices can connect to the hosted Wi-Fi network, if you want to share internet with them click on windows button on your keyboard, in the Search box type: Network and sharing, under the search box choose Settings and find “Network and Sharing Center” through the Results page. Or you can avoid all this and just press Windows key + R to bring up the Run box, type: ncpa.cpl and hit Enter :)
5. In the Network and Sharing center press the Change adapter settings button on the top left panel. Here you will find the network we just created with a star* at its name and the internet connection which we need to share. Right click on the connection which has the wired internet access and open the Properties, go to the Sharing tab and then tick: Allow other network users to connect through this pc internet connection, and choose in the below drop down menu (named: Home networking connection:) the Connection that we just created (with the star* in the name). Now make sure that the next checkbox Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection is unchecked and press OK
If all went fine, other devices should have internet through the Wireless Network you just created.
6. After you restart the computer the network wouldn’t automatically Connect, you’ll need to Run CMD in Administrator mode and write: netsh wlan start hostednetwork But if you want, you can create a shorter method for Connecting the network. For this run a new Notepad file (Window key + R and type: notepad) inside write: netsh wlan start hostednetwork then go to File > Save As and give it a name ending in: .bat (.bat is a runnable extension) save it on the desktop, and whenever you Start your computer and want to Share WiFi network with other devices, run this file.bat that we just created. Good luck!
Fix Error: The hosted network could not be started
The error is caused by the adapter, whether it’s in sleep mode whether it failed to launch due to an error. There are 2 methods to solve it, if the first one doesn’t work, try the second one.
1. Right click on My Computer icon, click Properties and in the left menu, open the Device Manager. Here find the Network adapters, click on it and find the Wireless network adapter. Right-Click on it and open Properties then Power Management tab and make sure you have checked the Allow this device to wake up the computer and the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkboxes. Press OK, save the Settings and try to start your network again in Command prompt with the: netsh wlan start hostednetwork command.
If you get the same error try the method below.
2. Right click on My Computer icon, click Properties and in the left menu, open the Device Manager. Here find the Network adapters, click on it and find the Wireless network adapter. Right-Click on it and click on Uninstall. This will uninstall your wifi adapter’s driver. After it uninstalls, right-click on the Network Adapters and hit Scan for new hardware changes. This will search for a driver and will install it. After it finishes, try to start the network in the Command prompt with the: netsh wlan start hostednetwork command.
How to create a WiFi hotspot on Ubuntu
1. Click the Gear icon on the panel and go to System Settings > Network select Wireless from the left menu, then at the Network Name select the Wired network you want to share. Now go to Options and change the SSID: this is the name of the WiFi network you’ll share, at the Wireless Security tab change the Key: this is the password for the network and click Save button. Now to share the network just click on Use as Hotspot… button.
2. To stop sharing WiFi, click on Stop Hotspot… button (click on the Gear icon > System Settings > Network > Wireless (from the left menu) Stop Hotspot… button)