Citrix Receiver 13 release claims to have improved support and functionality for Linux users. New features as mentioned on the site are:
- Performance enhancements in HDX with feature parity between x86 and ARM platforms.
- Platform Optimization SDK available for all supported platforms.
- HDX technologies improve the user experience when using productivity apps, viewing multimedia files, using webcams and in conference calls.
- IPv6 connections are now supported from XenDesktop.
- A new graphical user interface replaces the Program Neighborhood Agent interface.
- StoreFront is the new access point for users.
- Receiver is available in English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
Now we have an issue installing Citrix Receiver because in new version of Ubuntu we are missing package ia32-libs, which is not available anymore on these systems.
Here we will show you exact steps to install Citrix Receiver on Ubuntu 14.04
1. Download Citrix Receiver 64bit .deb package from Citrix website. Link
2. Modify the downloaded .deb package with following terminal commands:
Write address where is you downloaded file. for example: cd /home/myusername/downloads
3. Next type in terminal following commands:
dpkg-deb -x icaclient_184.108.40.2066735_amd64.deb ica_temp/
dpkg-deb –control icaclient_220.127.116.116735_amd64.deb ica_temp/DEBIAN
4. You need to use a text editor like gedit, to remove the ia32-libs and libasound2 dependencies by editing the file.
Terminal command to open this file:
sudo gedit /ica_temp/DEBIAN/control
Look for the line Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.7-1) and change to Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.7-1), lib32z1, nspluginwrapper
Now: CTRL+X, and Y to Save.
5. Now we have to repackage the file back to .deb
dpkg -b ica_temp icaclient_18.104.22.1686735_amd64-modified.deb
6. Install the dependencies required
sudo apt-get install nspluginviewer nspluginwrapper:i386 libXp6:i386
7. Install Citrix Receiver modified .deb package
sudo dpkg -i icaclient_22.214.171.1246735_amd64-modified.deb
8. Ignore the nspluginwrapper segmentation fault (if any)
9. Now your Citrix Receiver 13 is installed, to run it you’ll have to go to your Citrix web address, and click “Skip to Log In”
Next Click on your Xenapp Desktop, or any other application you want to run, an if it ask you to save it, save it and leave its name as it is: launch.ica