If Windows 7 is getting an update Error Code 80246002, this error is because of DNS, maybe it’s not set correctly and you don’t have internet connection, or you just need to set a DNS for Update to start working.
1. Go to Network and Sharing center inside Control Panel.
2. Click “Change Adapter Settings” on the left side pane.
3. Right click the network connection you’re currently using to be connected to the internet click Properties.
4. Double click “Internet Protocol Version 4 (Tcp/IPv4)”
5. Change “Obtain DNS Server Address automatically” to “Use the following DNS server addresses” – enter 126.96.36.199 as Preferred DNS server, and 188.8.131.52 as Alternate DNS server.
6. OK all of the windows.
7. Now to check again for updates you can restart the computer or run Command Prompt asa Administrator and type following: ipconfig /flushdns
Now Windows Update should start, it will take a while, so be patient.