The easiest way to configure Unity menu in Ubuntu is by installing
CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm).
Install CompizConfig Settings Manager:
- CCSM can be flaky be careful, it can break things and you can get a broken window manager, see this question to reset your configuration.
- Install the CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM).
- Hit Alt–F2 and input
about:configand hit enter.
What can it do?
You can now configure quite a few different settings. Like key shortcuts, the launcher behavior and appearance of the Launcher.
Hide Launchersets the launchers hide behavior.
- Never – The launcher will never hide.
- Autohide – The launcher will hide automatically based on time.
- Dodge Windows – The launcher will hide when a window would overlay it.
- Dodge Active Window – The launcher will hide only when an active window would overlay it.
- The key to show the launcher which by default is the Super key. This will also affect the key used to show the dash (if tapped) and the shortcuts shown when keeping Super pressed.
- The key to put keyboard-focus o the launcher so you can navigate using your keyboard (default Alt + F1).
- The key to open a Search Command dash where you can enter a command name you want to execute. (dafault Alt + F2).
- The key to open the first panel menu (default F10).
Launch Animationsets how the icons are animation.
- None – no animation will be shown.
- Pulse Until Running – the icon’s back light will pulse till it loads up.
- Blink – the icon’s back light will blink.
Urgent Animationsets how an icon will inform you of something important.
- None – no animation.
- Pulse – it will pulse.
- Wiggle – it will wiggle.
Panel Opacitysets the opacity of the panel.
Launcher icon sizesets the size of the launcher in pixels.
Hide Animationsets how the launcher hide and unhide.
- Fade on bfb and Slide – fades based on the position of your cursor in the bfb (big funnybutton – the one in the top left of your panel with the Ubuntu circle of friends on it) and slides.
- Slide only – it will only slide.
- Fade only – it will only fade.
Dash Blursets the level of blur in the dash
- No Blur
- Static – snapshot of the desktop that doesn’t get updated (in cases where the drivers can’t handle it)