Ubuntu is a dependable operating system and in the recent years, it has become a choice of many people. If you are using it, you need to know that you can add other users without getting any professional help. It is important to know how you can add a new user in Ubuntu, create additional accounts for each user and how to give them sudo privileges. Here is how to do it:
- Adding A New User In Ubuntu
When signed in as the root user, you can add a new user by typing: “add user newuser”.
When signed in as non-root user who has been given sudo privileges, you type: sudo adduser newuser. You are then asked a series of questions like:
- Assign and confirm your password as new user.
- Enter any additional information about the new user.
- Confirming that the information is correct and then you type Y to continue.
- Your new user is ready for use
If you want the new user to have access to administrative functionality, then you give the user access to sudo by using the visudo command. If you are a root user, type: visudo
For those who are non-root users with sudo rights, you type the command: sudo visudo
Then look for a line root, which states ALL and below this line you type newuser ALL.
You can save the file and then close it by clicking ctrl-x then clicking Y and finally Enter key. The new user can now execute commands having administrative privileges.
- Adding A Newuser Account
To add a new user’s account you need to follow the following easy steps. You need to have administrative priviledges in order to be in a position to add a new user’s account.
- Click the icon on the far right of the menu bar and select system settings
- Open user account
- Click unlock in the top right corner and type your password.
- In the list of accounts on the left, click the + button to add new user account.
- If you want user to have administrative access to the computer, select administrator for the account type
- Enter new user full names
- Click create
- Set password and confirm it.
Adding a new user in Ubuntu is very easy and fast. Just follow the steps above in a few minutes, you will add them.