Windows 10 has a Fast Startup which is called Fast Boot on in Windows 8. It works by saving all data in a hibernation file, then when starting up it reads the data from file and you have everything as before. It is similar to hibernation, but still its different.
The Fast Startup is enabled on most Windows 10 Laptops and some Desktops.
RECOMMENDED: How to Disable Ads on Windows 10 Lock Screen
How Fast Startup Works
When starting up your Windows 10 with Fast Startup it will not have to load the kernel, drivers, system state and other components. It will just refresh the RAM with the image loaded from hibernation file.
The real Hibernation mode works by opening your apps, folders and other things as you leaved them when you put your PC to hibernation.
How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup
To Enable or Disable Fast Startup you will have to open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. From there you have to click on: “Choose what the power buttons do“.
After, you will need to click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable” , see the screenshot bellow.
Now, scroll to the bottom and you should disable Fast Startup by unticking “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” and click on “Save changes“. See the screenshot bellow:
If there is no such option, it means that hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case you can enable hibernation from Command Prompt. From start menu type “Command Prompt“, right click and open it As Administrator.
Then type the following command:
powercfg /hibernate on
Then run the steps again, now you should see Fast Startup options.
Fast Startup Disadvantages
- If Startup is enabled, your computer will not perform a regular shutdown, and updates will not be able to be installed.-
- Fast Startup can mess with encrypted disk images. Encryption programs like TrueCrypt have reported that they were getting mounting problems with their encrypted drives when shuting down and starting back up.
- Your computer Hard Disk will be locked. You will not be able to access your computer Hard Disk from another computer, until you turn off the Fast Startup option.
- On some system, you may not be able to access BIOS or UEFI settings. To do it, you will have to turn off Fast Startup option.
- Hibernation file used for Fast Startup can take too much space.
RECOMMENDED: Windows 10: Uninstalling Built-in Apps
Reduce Hibernation File Size that is Used for Fast Startup
Hibernation file size usually takes about 75% of your installed RAM. If you have not enough space, or you use a small SSD, than the space is very important for you. You can reduce file size at almost a half.
To change the size of hibernation file, go to Start, search for “Command Prompt”, right click and “Run as administrator“.
powercfg /h /type reduced
If you can restore it to the original full size, use the following command:
powercfg /h /type full
Reducing hibernation file size will not affect your system.
Fast Startup Advantages
- The advantages are pretty clear, your computer will always start much faster. Your computer will be ready to work sooner.
- You should not expect any big issues. If sometimes you get some issues, a simple restart will fix it.
- Your computer should work faster as the memory will be completely cleared before shutting down your PC.
RECOMMENDED: How to Fix Blurry Fonts in Windows 10
These are the advantages and disadvantages of Windows 10 Fast Startup. Also we wrote for you how to enable it if its disabled, and how to reduce the hibernation file size.
If you have any problems with Windows 10 Fast Startup, please share with us in comments.